Thanks to the generosity of donors of Sahaya International . we are able to support the education of Batwa and other children from the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Uganda! Education empowers children and will build leadership in the Batwa communities.
- Nine Batwa children and youth from the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest communities in Uganda are being supported. While 1 goes to local school in Buhoma, the other 8 were enrolled in the Seeds of Hope School (near Kihihi) in Feb 2023. At this residential school in Kihihi, the Batwa students are able to focus on their studies as the environment is more conducive to learning and they are better-fed than back in their own homes. Additionally, they are not pulled out of their classes to dance and perform for tourists like they routinely were when they attended their local schools. With the donations received from Sahaya International, we are able to take care of the children’s school fees and buy their school supplies and other necessities, to ensure that the children get a good education so that they can look forward to a bright and successful future.
- Two female Batwa youth who recently finished high school, enrolled in a vocational training school, one of them to become a tour guide, the other one to become a kindergarten teacher. This program is also residential, and for both youth a great experience that broadens their horizons.
- We are also providing partial educational support to 6 non-batwa students.
Background on education in Uganda:
Here are some of the average costs for the Batwa students currently enrolled in our program:
- School fees: $175 per term (x 3 terms =$525 per year)
- School supplies: for the first term at a residential school expenses are higher (~ $250 per student) due to the need for materials (mattress, bedsheets/blanket and other 1-time items). After that, the average need per term is approx. $125 (books, notebooks, pencils, soap, toilet paper, and other items children have to bring to school; in general this includes also the cost for a field trip).
- So combined school fees + school supplies (after 1st term) is approximately $300 per term.
- For students who do higher education/vocational training, the average comes to approx. $540 per term.
You can help the education of Batwa children. Consider a gift today.
The batwa students are being picked up from the Seeds of Hope School (April 28, 2023) to go home for their holiday break.
The parents visiting the Batwa children at the Seeds of Hope School (March 2023); click on individual pic to see enlarged version.
During their 3-week school break (May 2023), the students enjoyed time at the Rafiki art center to learn drawing, they cleaned the front yard, and also got to watch some movies. They also were provided with lunch every day. Many thanks to everyone who makes this possible!
Click on individual pictures to see an enlarged version.